Thursday, September 25, 2014

This topic I thought was interesting for a student, and easy to have an opinion on. I chose this commentary article because it was something I could relate to. I read this in The Daily Texan "Computers, technology should stay outside of classroom". The author attends the University of Texas, in this article he expresses how he does not believe any technology should be allowed in the classroom and reasoning supporting his point of view.

In many cases laptops are the most convenient way to take notes in class. Not many people like to take notes by hand in college now a days. The author is making the argument that you learn better without any electronics in the class room. Expecting to see everyone with a laptop on their desks he finds out the opposite saying "What I did not assume was that many professors at the University of Texas prohibit electronics of any kind in the classroom". Believing that this is the best setting for a class room. He makes a good point saying that people distract their selves with the laptop along with others, backing up his statement with information from a study done back in 2010 "a study conducted in 2010, researchers determined that students using laptops were on “distracting” screens (including email, games, and general web surfing) for at least 42 percent of the lecture". Which I do agree with thinking about it I was in the same situation just last week with a girl sitting in front of me playing a game on her laptop distracted me from the professor presentation. This is not a good way to retain the information needed for the class. He also makes a good statement backing up his argument saying that studies show a person typing all their notes does not retain the information as good as a person hand writing them. "Researchers have concluded that students who take notes on laptops simply don’t process the information like students who take notes by hand". With all these great examples and studies supporting his theory he won me over, and I have to agree with his argument, but I do believe students should have the choice as long as there on track with the lecture. Different people have different ways of learning and taking in information, so I say let the student decide.

No comments: